Comic of the Month

Comic of the Month
xkcd by Randall Munroe

Sunday, February 10, 2008

On the Bright Side

So, after looking over my blog, I realized that – being the lazy person that I am – I rarely get the motivation to write a post unless something frustrates me to the point where I have to vent about it. This alone isn’t a problem, but it means that the few of you who actually read my posts are only seeing my frustrations. I’m going to try to make more of an effort to write about the little things that happen, throughout my week, that keep me going. J

First, it actually snowed a couple weeks ago!! Big, soft chunks of snow started down around lunchtime while I was at Ohse Sho (one of the many elementary schools I visit periodically throughout the year). The kids couldn’t wait to get outside, but I still think no one was as excited as I was, haha. We downed our kyuushoku (prepared lunch) as fast as our chopsticks would allow, rinsed and hung our milk cartons at top speed, and then bolted out the front hall.

The snowball fight that began shortly after was epic. EPIC. I will never forget it. The snow melted soon after touching the ground, but we scraped enough off of leaves, window sills, and cars to make impressive projectiles. At first, the boys were a bit nervous about pelting a teacher; but, after I nailed a few, they didn’t hold back. I had to chase some of them across the school grounds (vaulting over the “indoor shoes only” sections of the walkway was tricky, hahaha) and give them a good white-washing as punishment for aiming for the face.

In the end, I got walloped! Haha. The majority of these boys play baseball after school every day - their throwing arms are painful! In the last few minutes of the fight, I saw myself surrounded by a gang of six or so, all posed and waiting for their leader’s command. I didn't try to run, I didn’t try to fight back. I did what any intelligent person would have done: I crouched and covered my head with both arms before half a dozen baseball-sized snowballs landed square on my back.

My hair and sweater were dripping wet for the rest of the work day, but it was definitely worth it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun, but not as great as Hokkaido. Besides, you could have taken those boys. Who needs a 'throwing arm' when they have aikido?

KB said...

hahaha, good point. we don't practice "defense against snowballs" at my dojo though. hmmmm...it would be such a fun lesson.