Comic of the Month

Comic of the Month
xkcd by Randall Munroe

Monday, August 6, 2007

Almost There!

Since the next two weeks or so are going to fly by like a whirlwind (and I will not have internet for some time after I leave the Keio Hotel), I figured I should write a bit about what we JETs have experienced thus far…

…to give you some idea of the Japanese welcoming spirit: we’ve only spent a single night in Tokyo and I have already penciled 4 parties into my planner: one for ALTs in general, one for those of us stationed in Ehime, another for those residing close to Matsuyama (mainly Uchiko and Matsuyama JETs), and a fourth for us New Englanders/Canadians who just plain rock. *wink* I should note that, also in Japanese fashion, all of these parties revolve around large quantities of alcohol. I’m glad I’ve met a couple other Ehime ALTs who would also rather not greet their mayors brutally hungover.

Beer parties aside, I’m very encouraged to finally meet many other JETs here in Tokyo (there are hundreds staying in the Keio Hotel at the moment) because I am no longer worried about being the odd one out. I’ve seen a guy with a mohawk (not spiked, but still clearly there), several people with visible tattoos, a hippie whose idea of formal business wear included cargo pants, and a gal from Washington with two lip piercings. I asked the Washington girl if she was going to remove her rings and she said she would remove one, but try a stud in the other. I was expecting resistance to my tragus piercing, but was going to keep it as long as it was no risk to my job.

In my defense, I want to point out that I clean up well: at the Boston orientation, I (being a tad impatient) decided to skip the line at the check-in counter and walk straight through security. Our orientation was held at the Consulate-General of Japan on the 14th floor of the Federal Reserve building; security included armed guards. I figured the worse they could do would be to refuse me entry, so I wasn’t all that concerned. Well, I made it through, no questions asked, and it was fun being the only JET at the orientation without a neon yellow “guest pass” sticker. One JET said he saw me walk by and assumed I worked in the building, although I did look “a bit young”. Hehe.

Although I am nervous about meeting my superintendent and supervisors for the first time (and having to go through the formal introductions in Japanese), I feel comfortable already. I’m sitting here snacking on a matcha-flavored KitKat and drinking a carton of Milk Tea (my apologies B, but it’s good :D ). I can’t wait to see my apartment (first time ever having one of my own, woot!) and explore my town.

That’s it for now I guess. Tokyo is amazing – it beats out both NYC and Boston (I can’t believe I’ve stayed at all three cities in only a week’s time) – and I wish I could explore more. Oh, and I met several JETs from the southern coast of Ehime, which is known for its surfing...yeah, baby! We all want to try. Ok, now I’m done. Keep in touch, I’ll get lonely once I’m alone at my station.

No comments: