Comic of the Month

Comic of the Month
xkcd by Randall Munroe

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Okinawa Day 2 (Tuesday 24th)

Today was our first big day out and about in Okinawa and I’m so frustrated that I can’t share my pictures with you guys because, although I am sitting in Starbucks as I type, there is no wireless service here either. *sigh* Out of all the difficulties I had expected to encounter during this trip, getting internet access in Japan was not one of them.

Anyway, this morning Rachel drove us into town so we could cash our Traveler’s Checks. We then decided to catch the bus into Naha while she was with us so that we’d be better prepared to go it alone the rest of the trip. We spent the day walking down the main strip, drinking bubble tea, and found an arcade with that DDR-for-hands game. For those of you who haven’t yet seen the YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl-u8jRCKVs (sorry I'd link it, but I'm navigating this site in Japanese at the moment and don't have the time). Alex wants us to come back here with Rachel’s video camera after he’s had some practice, hehe.

Here at the mall, I finally found a store that would accept my visa card. I was starting to get worried since the majority of our money is on my card and only a third or so we have in cash. “Kard o deshiharimasuka?” Is a phrase that I think will now forever be ingrained in my memory. Speaking of which, it’s amazing how total cultural immersion can reawaken old language skills *wink*. Even though I’m a year or so out of practice folks seem to understand me more or less and only the very first cashier I spoke to actually laughed at me. Hahahaha. No, seriously, I’m sure I sound horrible, but I’m happy that I seem to have remembered enough to survive and it will only get better with more practice.

So that’s about it I guess. If it continues to rain tomorrow we’ll probably end up back at the arcade. This rain is KILLING ME because we found a beautiful beach with beautiful rock that is just begging to be climbed!!! If the weather doesn’t dry up by the end of the week I’m bouldering in the rain.

No comments: